Freshman Power

Allie Montgomery and Ariel Harmon

Two freshman girls, against all odds, managed to snag a spot on varsity volleyball this season. While there were over 60 girls at tryouts, Bridget Lannigan and Chloe Fox showed their warrior side and impressed head coaches Mekeala Hemming and Brookelynn Cole, earning them a spot.

At tryouts, Lannigan and Fox were expecting to be placed at junior varsity or junior varsity two based on the experienced players and other talented freshmen. Little did they know that they were going to make varsity their first year of high school. While Fox was new to the tryout scene, Lannigan’s older sister, Natalie has helped prepare her for it. With Fox as a defensive specialist and Lannigan as a right side hitter who sometimes drifts middle, they help add a lot of talent to the team.

Both of the girls have had years of experience on court to get them to varsity today. Fox played for three years at Hosford Middle School and also played at OJVA last year. Lannigan has played since she was nine and has club experience as well.

Now that they are on varsity, they are loving the experience. The other players mixed with the love of playing the game has been a bonus to their freshman year. “It’s super fun and the girls are really cool and funny and sweet. They support me,” said Fox. The new coaches have been adding to the game as well, giving the girls constructive criticism and support. Though the practices and games can keep them out until 9 p.m. and they have to keep up with their homework and classes to get good grades, it’s all completely worth it.

As for the rest of the season, and the many seasons to come, they have high hopes. Not only do they hope to keep winning, but they are also looking forward to advancing in the sport. Lannigan added, “I want to get better and have a good time.”