Kenny Bibles, Cross Country Coach, Passes away

By Oscar Duyck, Sports Editor

Recently, the Cleveland community suffered a tragedy. Kenny Bibles, a fixture of the Cleveland athletics department passed away on Oct. 22. He had served the Cleveland community in numerous ways since 2006. He was an assistant coach for both the track and football team, but he helped in many more ways, such as setting up sporting events and ticket taking. He was a crucial part of Cleveland athletics.

Coach Bibles, husband to school psychologist Robin Bibles, was the head assistant coach of the track and field team, specializing in the jumping events. He coached the high jump, triple jump, and the long jump. Head coach Stephen Nims said Bibles was a “positive force on the team” who “everybody could relate to.” According to Nims, he was someone who was not a “loud coach,” but who nonetheless was always “present.”  Bibles was a person who dispensed “kind words,” and had a “sense of humor.” Due to his long tenure on the track team, Nims said that players felt that Bibles was almost a “grandfather figure.”

Coach Bibles was a mentor figure for student athletes. One of his acolytes, junior Linus Clark, a jumper for the track team, said, “When you ask me how Bibles was as a coach, I have to tell you that the reason he was a good coach was because he was a good friend, and he loved what he was doing. I have nothing but praise for Kenny Bibles as a coach and as a human being.” Clark also cited many of Bibles’ characteristics as a coach. “He was someone that helped you improve and made you want to do better and to make him proud.  Bibles helped Clark outside of the season, showing his dedication to his players.

“Kenny’s calm demeanor and his great smile is what I remember best about him. The track students coached by Kenny were drawn to him by these qualities.  It’s been an honor to have known Kenny and he will be missed by the family at Cleveland high school,” said Athletic Director Mike Shanahan.

Coach Bibles also lived a life outside of the Cleveland sports world. He grew up in Yakima, Washington and he was a talented long jumper in his own right. He earned a track and field scholarship to Central Washington University. He was third place in the Junior Olympics long jump. He spent 30 years working for PepsiCo as a driver. An avid traveler, he had traversed the country, going to places such as the Hawaiian islands, Alaska, Las Vegas, and Green Bay to watch the Packers.  

Services were held Oct. 30. Coach Bibles will be sorely missed by Cleveland. He will be remembered for his stellar example he set both on and off the field.