January Faces on the Field

By Noah Kemper and Allie Montgomery

Clarion photo Ashley Lytle
This is senior Elena Matt’s fourth year on the girls Varsity basketball team.

Elena Matt

After finishing below .500 last season, Cleveland girls basketball has gotten off to an exciting 6-3 start and is on a six-game winning streak. “I think we will continue to play aggressive like we have been throughout the season in order to win as many games as possible. The entire team is bonded with one another and it only makes us better on the court,” said senior wing Elena Matt. “I started off in a weird funk in the beginning of the season and it took me awhile to get back into my play style. Now that we started league play, I think I’m performing much better!” Matt had a career high of 14 points in her game against Jefferson on Jan. 3. The team hopes to continue their success throughout the season.

Clarion photo Ashley Lytle This is senior Anna Litchman’s fourth year on the Cleveland dance team.

Anna Litchman

For the fourth year in a row, senior Anna Litchman ended the fall dance season placing first in the state-wide Category Drill-Down Championship. Competitors scoring high points or placing first and second place in previous fall events are able to enter and perform the same category routine at competition level. “It was a really exciting moment for me,” said Litchman. “I’ve wanted to do this ever since I won for my first time freshman year.” Not only was this a great achievement for her personally, but no one could remember the last time someone won for four consecutive years. Litchman is a captain for the Sundancers and is continuing to look forward to more achievements for the team.