State Playoffs: CHS Boys Soccer Face Grant in Quarterfinal Clash

The varsity team takes on the fifth-ranked Generals Saturday, Nov. 6 at Marshall High School

Cleveland’s varsity soccer team kept its playoff run going with a thrilling 4-2 victory over fourth-ranked South Salem on Nov. 3.

Goals from four Warriors — Solomon Barnett, Seb Buscaglia, Stephen Treat and Elijah Edelman — and timely saves from goalkeeper Ibrahm Garza helped propel the team into a highly-anticipated quarterfinal matchup with Grant on Saturday.

The small field made it easier to create scoring chances, so both teams traded many shots for the opening 20 minutes, said Nick Yoder, Cleveland’s head coach.

The Warriors will take on Grant at the McDaniel campus on Saturday, Nov. 6 at 2:30, for the quarterfinal matchup.

Barnett, a sophomore forward, scored the first goal against South Salem with about 10 minutes to go in the first half.

“It was a beautiful goal kick from Ibrahm Garza that was flicked on by Stephen Treat,” said Yoder, describing the goal.

The second half started with several chances for both sides, and then Buscaglia hit a shot off the post and in from about 35 yards out to make it 2-0.

Cleveland made it 3-0 with Treat finishing a beautiful dribbling sequence from senior Lawson Vella.

South Salem found a lifeline with a penalty awarded with 20 minutes left in the game to make it 3-1.

Edelman then scored a free kick with about 10 minutes to go in the game for Cleveland, which was answered by a goal from senior forward Julian Rivas Delgado from 10 yards out with five minutes to go for the final margin.

Both teams traded opportunities in the last five minutes, but the Warriors held firm. Overall, Garza had several saves and kept the Warriors in the game early when South Salem had some dangerous opportunities. Cleveland held the possession advantage for the game.

In the first round, Cleveland took on Central Catholic at Cleveland Stadium on Oct. 30. Caesar Daniell scored the game winner with about three minutes to go in the second overtime to give the Warriors a thrilling win, 1-0.
“We had dominated that game but couldn’t score regardless of how many shots and posts we hit,” Yoder said.

The team now turns its attention to Grant. The team is known for its defense, and the high-flying Warriors will be tested offensively. The two PIL teams met Oct. 1 at Cleveland and finished in a 0-0 draw.

Grant won the PIL, with Cleveland coming in second. The difference was the Warriors lost to Lincoln 1-0, while the Generals defeated the Cardinals 1-0. Ranked no. 7, Lincoln is the third PIL team in the quarterfinals. They face second-ranked Jesuit on Saturday.

Cleveland is the lowest ranked team in the playoffs. The quarterfinal match is set for 2:30 at the McDaniel campus. The game was originally set for the Marshall campus, but changed due to a scheduling conflict. Tickets are $5 for students and $8 for adults. PPS Vaccine Rules apply. Proof of vaccine or negative COVID test are required for all visitors over the age of 12. This includes all students.