JSU Provides Staff with Guidance About High Holidays

Clarion photo Bna'i Mitzvah Academy

Photo Credits: https://bnaimitzvahacademy.com/

In mid-to-late September, the Jewish Student Union sent a letter out to Cleveland staff to prepare them for Jewish students having to miss school to observe religious events, Rosh Hashanah Sept. 25-27, and Yom Kippur, Oct. 4-5, and not penalize them for missing school work.

“We urge teachers to excuse all Jewish students observing the holidays away from school from any classwork or assignment due on the days of Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur,” the letter stated. “If this is not possible, work should be accepted with no late work penalty. Meaning teachers should thoughtfully plan their classes in which no tests, presentations, quizzes, or any class work is being taught where the students must be present.”

Simone Maher, a co-president of JSU, commented that despite the administration’s willingness to send out the email in support of Jewish students, it seems that many teachers did not see the letter or change their policies. Maher pointed out that although it’s difficult for teachers to rearrange their curriculum, it’s part of the process towards a more accepting community.

The letter discussed that “for Jews, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are the most important holidays, thus called the ‘High Holidays.’ As the school system is based on a Christocentric calendar, Jewish students are burdened with missing school to observe the holidays. However, accommodating teachers can make a difference in this experience.”

“We ask teachers to recognize the holidays to make Jewish students feel heard and seen. During this recognition, we recommend teachers explain that students will either be excused from class work, or be able to turn in missed assignments with no late penalty, so Jewish students know they are supported and can observe these holidays without the stress of catching up,” the letter stated.

In the letter, JSU broadened the scope of acceptance to other minority students, and hopes that this can be a first step to developing a more welcoming community at Cleveland.

“We also want to recognize that Judaism is just one of numerous minority holidays. Judaism is often recognized more than other minority religions as it is the second-most celebrated religion amongst adults in Oregon; we state this, as students of other minority religions are subjected to more bigotry in the school system and classroom from lack of recognition, representation, and support. We hope this email prompts you to continue to recognize holidays of minority religions and educate your class, and yourself to create a more supportive environment for your students,” the letter stated.

Here is the full letter sent out to staff:

The Upcoming Jewish Holidays: to Staff from JSU

Cleveland Staff,

As the Jewish High Holidays are around the corner, we, the Jewish Student Union, are coming to you with recommendations on how to best support your students.

For Jews, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are the most important holidays, thus called the “High Holidays.” As the school system is based on a Christocentric calendar, Jewish students are burdened with missing school to observe the holidays. However, accommodating teachers can make a difference in this experience.

We urge teachers to excuse all Jewish students observing the holidays away from school from any classwork or assignment due on the days of Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur, if this is not possible work should be accepted with no late work penalty. Meaning teachers should thoughtfully plan their classes in which no tests, presentations, quizzes, or any class work is being taught where the students must be present.

We attend a school system riddled with bigotry and systemic racism, we cannot change that in an instant, but all of you, Cleveland teachers, have the power to make real changes in Jewish student experiences.

About the holidays:

Rosh Hashanah begins the evening of Sept. 25th and continues through the evening of Sept. 27th, therefore Jewish students who observe away from school would miss Monday the 26th and Tuesday the 27th. Rosh Hashanah, “beginning of the year,” is the celebration of the New Year on the Hebrew calendar. Rosh Hashanah is a celebration and a day of looking forward to the next year– one can greet someone celebrating with “Happy New Years” or “Shana Tova” (good year/happy new years).

Yom Kippur begins the evening of Oct. 4th and ends the evening of Oct. 5th, therefore Jewish students who observe away from school would miss Wednesday the 5th. Some students might be observing Yom Kippur at school, meaning they potentially could be fasting throughout the school day–please be mindful of this as students could have a more difficult time completing class assignments. Yom Kippur is known as the Day of Atonement and the Holiest Day on the Hebrew calendar. Because Yom Kippur is a day of reflection, it’s important not to say “Happy Yom Kippur,” instead, one could say “Yom Tov” (have a good holy day).

We ask teachers to recognize the holidays to make Jewish students feel heard and seen. During this recognition, we recommend teachers explain that students will either be excused from class work, or be able to turn in missed assignments with no late penalty, so Jewish students know they are supported and can observe these holidays without the stress of catching up.

We also want to recognize that Judaism is just one of numerous minority holidays. Judaism is often recognized more than other minority religions as it is the second most celebrated religion amongst adults in Oregon; we state this, as students of other minority religions are subjected to more bigotry in the school system and classroom from lack of recognition, representation, and support. We hope this email prompts you to continue to recognize holidays of minority religions and educate your class, and yourself to create a more supportive environment for your students.

We hope you take the time to implement our recommendations in your class.

Sincerely,
Jewish Student Union Leadership