Four Students picked to exhibit their art at the HeART of Portland Art Show

The art show, held at the Portland Art Museum, runs from April 11 – 23.

Clarion photo Emma Bass
Quincy Whiteman, sophomore, one of four students selected for the HeART of Portland Art showcase.

Four Cleveland art teachers nominated one of their students to send their artwork to the HeART of Portland art show. Each student, excelling in a different kind of art, was thrilled to be nominated for the show.

Quincy Whiteman, sophomore, was nominated by teacher LeeAnne Heuberger for his piece, which was a simplified take on a desert location in California. His symbolism and personal take on Navajo artist Gilmore Scott were well done and really stood out.

Abbey Olson, junior, was nominated by teacher Ezra Ereckson for her cartoon image that was based on her childhood experience of being lost in the Redwoods. The image shows how it was perceived in her young mind. The assignment was to bring a story or experience to life.

Junior Maia Mitrea was nominated by ceramics teacher Mark Warner for her creative interpretations and controversial topic. Her piece is a vase that displays a woman’s body surrounded by flowers.

The fourth student, nominated by art teacher Emily Pratt, is Asa Stein, but attempts to contact Stein were unsuccessful.

The art show runs April 11-23 at the Portland Museum of Art and is free to the public. There was an opening reception on April 11 at 6:30 pm.