Senior Athletes Announce Their College Decisions

Clarion photo Marcos Romero-Turner
Senior athletes pose for a photo.

During FLEX on Friday, April 28, Cleveland’s best athletes in the class of 2023 sat down in the library to announce where they will be playing collegiate sports, and reminisce on their athletic career in the green and yellow. Athletics director Kellie Sauer began by congratulating the athletes on their achievements, and thanking them for their time at Cleveland. She then let the athletes take the stage and talk about their future as well as their time at Cleveland, and each athlete mentioned what they took away from playing for Cleveland.

The first athlete was Kai Kubo, who is committed to play water polo at Division I school California State Fullerton. Kubo was a strong swimmer for Parkrose High School before coming to Southeast Portland, helped by his 6’7” frame. But he excelled in water polo, a sport not offered by Cleveland. Kubo stated that he faced a lot of hardships when he began playing, but he said that by sticking with it he ultimately discovered how much he loved to play. CS-Fullerton’s water polo, which only began a year ago, will benefit from the addition of Kubo.

Camden Goldberg was the next to speak. Like Kubo, Goldberg also made a name by playing outside of Cleveland, playing for the Grant Generals’ boys lacrosse team. His lacrosse career will continue at Johnson & Wales University Providence, a Division III school in Rhode Island. Goldberg said that he faced many challenges academically and athletically during high school, but he enjoyed pushing through them and reaping the rewards.

Three members of Cleveland’s boys soccer team will be moving on to the NCAA level. Forward Zidane Indarta will make the short trip across the river and continue his athletic career at Lewis & Clark College, a Division III school. Midfielder and captain Elijah Edelman will play for Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota, also Division III. And defender Cameron MacDonald joins Kubo as the other athlete to play Division I sports, as he will be playing at Utah Tech University in St George. Indarta, Edelman, and MacDonald all said that the biggest thing they took away from their time on the pitch was how to be a leader and working hard to push through challenges.

Two female Warriors will also be continuing as college athletes. Millie Bamer and Ellie Einstein both played multiple sports at Cleveland, and that helped them continue as student athletes. Bamer will play soccer at Division II school Montana State University-Billings, while Einstein heads to Los Angeles to play lacrosse at Division III Occidental College. Bamer and Einstein gave advice to future athletes to “work hard and have fun!”

The final athletes to announce their futures were three members of the boys basketball team: SC Tresvant, Jackson Cooper, and Jamel Pichon. The three Warrior hoopers were the leaders of Cleveland’s playoff runs this season and the year before. Tresvant and Cooper will continue as teammates in Klamath Falls, playing for NAIA basketball powerhouse Oregon Tech. Pichon will move to Washington to play basketball for Spokane Community College. All three athletes stated they learned on the court the importance of being a leader and a coach, showing up early, and working hard. Tresvant and Cooper additionally expressed their excitement to continue as teammates.

After each athlete spoke, the athletes received applause from the audience, and then posed for a group photo. They then conversed with their friends, family, coaches, and teammates in the audience, and took more photos. Every athlete had an incredible career here at Cleveland, and on behalf of the community at Cleveland, we thank you and wish you well on your future as a student and an athlete.