Nike Techs: Bop or Flop?

Clarion photo Central Cee
Photo Via: Central Cee (Instagram)

Let’s talk Techs. The debate of the Nike Tech is strong amongst the Cleveland student body. Some feel passionate about their love for the apparel, whereas other students can’t get on board.
“They’re overrated, uncomfortable, and low key ugly,” says junior Ava Johnson.
In opposition, senior Mia Yoshihara says, “I say go for it! I like Nike Techs. They’re super comfortable and look really swag.”
Modern “Tech Packs” were introduced to Nike in 2013 as the fleece sweat set we all know now, instead of the original windbreaker style of the tech. The set has become widely popular in sports and loungewear settings, as well as being a day to day fashion piece.
The craze of Nike Techs has also been largely influenced by celebrities and British culture. They have recently gained traction after rappers such as Central Cee and Mike Sherm have sported them, as well as Ice Spice who famously “likes a man in a Tech.” When asking students at Cleveland if they feel these celebrities have created the trend, the answer was a unanimous “yes.” However, that doesn’t mean people think it’s a good thing.
Even though he admits he personally owns two, senior Grant Kloeppel says, “Just because Mike Sherm wears a Tech doesn’t mean you have to wear one.” He also points out that, “If you’re wearing the same things half the guys in the world wear, you’re just basic.”
On the contrary, junior Lola Pierce believes that “basic” does not equal “bad.” She says, “Isn’t what’s basic also what’s popular and good?”
Senior Sabin Walsh adds, “There’s a reason things are basic. A Tech is comfy, nice, and looks good.”
Some students think if you’re going to wear a Tech, you should commit to the look. “It has to be full tech or no tech,” says senior Elise Yancey. Others argue that wearing a Tech is only acceptable if you wear one piece at a time. Sophomore Josie Kielani states, “I say no to the full suit, but if you wear the top with jeans, it makes sense.”
Overall, Nike Tech’s are a very complex topic with many aspects being put up for debate. What do you think?