Open Mic at Artichoke Music

Clarion photo Lucrezia Campari
Artichoke Music is hosting an open mic night. It will happen the first Wednesday of every month starting Oct.4. It’s open to everyone but only teens can perform.

Are you interested in music, poetry, and artichokes? Oct. 4 is the kickoff of Artichoke Music’s new monthly open mic! At this (free) event, you can spend time with other teens who love stand-up comedy, poetry, music, and telling stories.

Artichoke Music is so much more than a music store. In addition to selling instruments, they also offer music classes and a venue that is a safe space for artists to express their creativity. The open mic event will be hosted by musician/teacher Katy Ohsiek. They are excited for all that will come from this event because of the influence similar experiences have had on their career as a musician.

“When I was in high school there was a teen-focused open mic in my hometown, and it was honestly so important in my journey as a musician and songwriter,” they said. “Now I am a professional musician and owe a lot of my current life and career to that open mic.”

Ohsiek added that they are excited about hearing original songs, covers, and potentially some group performances.

“Since it’s a new event, I have no idea what to expect but I’m excited for whatever happens!”

Make sure to stop by Artichoke Music between 7-9pm on the first Wednesday of every month, starting on Oct. 4. Whether you want to put yourself out there and perform, or get some inspiration as an audience member, Artichoke Music has a place for you.

Artichoke Music is located at 2007 SE Powell Blvd.