Cleveland ranked the sixth best high school in the state

The U.S. News and World Report had Cleveland and fellow PPS school Lincoln as two top 10 schools in its latest academic rankings
Clarion photo Gabriel Macdonald
The U.S. News and World Report ranked Cleveland the sixth best high school in the state ofOregon, and the eighth best high school in the Portland metro area, which includes southern Washington.

A national publication ranks Cleveland High School the sixth best high school in the state, and the eighth best in the Portland metro area, which includes Vancouver, Washington.

The annual rating, from U.S. News and World Report, is based on many factors that go into college readiness: graduation rate, attendance, AP/IB enrollment, and testing proficiency.

Principal JoAnn Wadkins, among many others, is stoked about our school getting this recognition from such a valued source. “I’m very proud of the work that our teachers and students do, so to also have that outside recognition feels great,” she says.

Being ranked sixth in the state is outstanding for students because the high profile can be the deciding factor in getting accepted to a prestigious college or landing a job.

“When students leave Cleveland High School, they make decisions about whether or not they’re going to college, or take a gap year, or enter the workforce. How highly considered your school is helps with those processes,” Wadkins said.

Lincoln High School, the only other PPS school in the top 10 rankings, was ranked fourth in the state and third in the metro area.