Midterm Survival Info: Mental Health Advocacy

Clarion photo Max Williams
Midterms can be an especially stressful time for students.

Midterms are right around the corner! The piles of tests and assignments come hand in hand with stress and anxiety. In these stressful times of our high school careers, it’s important to maintain a positive mindset. When it comes to balancing your academics and your personal life, there are many difficulties that arise. According to research.com, finals, and midterms are the top sources of stress for 31 percent of students in the U.S. Deadlines and exams can affect your sleep, diet, and emotions and have a snowball effect on your mental health.
Here are some tips for you to maintain emotional wellness during midterms:

Take a brain dump and write down what you’re stressed about. *Acknowledge your emotions, and know that it is ok to feel stressed!
Go on a walk.
Making time to clear your head and get in some physical activity both benefit your mind and your body.
Check yourself with the HALT standard.
*Are you hungry, angry, lonely or tired? Taking care of these basic needs are crucial, and they can worsen your overall performance if you neglect them. SLEEP and EAT always come in front of everything else!
Create a reward system.
Celebrate your achievements even if they’re small.
Make a schedule or to-do list to manage your time wisely.

Cleveland’s Mental Health Advocacy club wishes you luck on your midterms! We meet every Tuesday during lunch in Camille Adanas’ room, 381.