Fortnite Renaissance

Clarion photo Julia Vogel
Julia Vogel Showing Off Post Victory Royale

The recent return to “OG” or original Fortnite is a blast from the past. Recently, the top-selling Epic Games multiplayer has brought back many original features from its fourth season, including weapons such as the pump shotgun and life-savers like the iconic chug jug. With many high schoolers having experienced the game in its prime, the update begs the question: is Fortnite worth the hype? Sophomore Jane Treadwell thinks so.
“It’s a really fun game, and the map is really cool. There’s lots to do, lots to explore,” she said. “There’s updates so it’s always changing, there’s always more and it’s never boring.”
Treadwell credits the recent update as the cause for a spike in the game’s popularity.
“Fortnite just reached a crazy peak in players, you know? Everyone’s coming back because it’s a part of their childhood, so I think it’s a really good decision. It’s been so successful and everyone is playing Fortnite,” she said.
Saylor Manning, a sophomore who’s played Fortnite since the age of eight, hails the game as a means for social connection.
“I like the multiplayer aspect. I can get on the game with my friends and relax. I think it really is a great way to connect and bond with people. You have duos, you have trios, you have squads … Team Rumble! You can have fun with your friends and meet new people. I like a lot about it,” she said.
Manning is also a fan of the recent update, having played the game in its original fourth season.
“I was really excited because it did give me so much nostalgia, which I think every human loves the feeling of. I can really reflect on it, so I have a lot of fun,” Manning said.
Whether you’re dropping at Dusty Divot or Tilted Towers, it’s clear Fortnite brings us together. With a game averaging 237 million monthly players, according to Gameleap, the Fortnite population is in a league of its own when it comes to community. A trip down memory lane with your friends is always nice, and a Victory Royale doesn’t hurt either.