Sports Wrap: A Look At How All The Winter Sports Teams Are Faring

Clarion photo Solomon Linde
Captain Jackson Owens shoots a floater in the lane on Jan. 2 in a 72-62 victory over Benson.

As we enter 2024, there have been plenty of winter sports to keep up with. Here’s a look at how each team has performed.

Boys basketball has a record of six wins and six losses after beating McDaniel on Tuesday, Jan. 9. They are ranked 21st in Oregon and are tied for second in the PIL. They got a big league win on Dec. 15, beating the defending PIL champions Lincoln 79-71. Senior Jackson Owens has been the star for the Warriors, averaging 26.0 points per game, which is second in the state. Will Susak and Brady Ryan have also been key contributors. In their game on Jan. 2, Owens scored 31 points as Cleveland got a huge 72-62 victory over Benson to start PIL play at 2-0.

Girls basketball holds a similar ranking to the boys’ team, ranked at no. 21 in the state as of Jan. 10. They opened PIL play on Jan. 2, where they lost to Benson. In their second PIL game, Cleveland dominated Roosevelt, winning 65-15. The Warriors played in multiple tournaments during December, making the trip to Washington to play against Steilacoom and Stadium High School. The Warriors won both games. Cleveland then played in the POA Holiday Classic at Lincoln, where they ended the tournament with a close victory over Crescent Valley. Senior Malia Waiwaiole was named to the All-Tournament team.

The swim team has competed in three PIL meets so far this season. Their most recent meet was on Jan 5 at Dishman Pool, where they competed against swimmers from Benson, McDaniel, and Roosevelt. The Warriors had multiple first place finishes at the meet. In the boys’ 200 yard medley relay, the team of junior Max Thompson, senior Lucas Geren, and sophomores Brent Welch and Eugene Fedutinov won with a time of 1:51:74.

The boys team competes in a PIL league meet in December at Dishman pool. (Clarion photo Ashley Lam)

Sophomore Ia Stanhope won the girls 200 yard freestyle by over 15 seconds. The 200 yard individual medley for both boys and girls was won by Cleveland, with Eugene Fedutinov and senior Kaylee Ho winning their respective events. Other events the Warriors won included both the girls and boys 100 yard freestyle, the mixed 100 yard freestyle, the boys 500 yard freestyle, and the girls and boys 200 yard freestyle.

Both the boys and girls wrestling teams have had standout performers this winter. For the boys team, the top performers include senior Connor Smeller (12-1), senior Adrian Anaya (13-6), and junior Max Copus (19-6). The girls team, which is competing separately for the first time, has been lead by junior Izzy Herring. Herring has a 20-2 record, and is currently ranked no. 1 in the girls 170 pound weight class.