Speech and Debate Update

LIGHTS%2C+CAMERA%2C+ACTION+-+Patrick+Gonzales+is+interviewed+for+the+documentary+Our+Next+Speaker%2C+about+the+Cleveland+speed+and+debate+program.+
Clarion photo OurNextSpeaker Instagram
LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION – Patrick Gonzales is interviewed for the documentary “Our Next Speaker,” about the Cleveland speed and debate program.

One of the most successful programs at Cleveland is the speech and debate team. It has collected an impressive record within the district and state levels, achieving 13 district championship titles and going to state and national qualifiers consistently. One of the key reasons for their success is the coaching of Patrick Gonzales, also known as Gonzo. However, other factors are present that contribute to their exemplary success.
“One of the reasons we’re successful is we’re gigantic. Right now, we have 184 students at Cleveland High School who have competed for the team,” Gonzales said.
Since the beginning of Gonzo’s tenure in 2009, the team has grown into a powerhouse, dividing their numerous members into teams to maximize their effectiveness.
Recently, tournaments like the Linfield competition brought students from all over the West Coast together to prove themselves, and Gonzales was optimistic for success. With the district tournament creeping up in April, the coaches, captains, and team are testing their abilities. “[Districts is] always a neat time, you know, especially for the seniors. This will be it, there’s no hiding what it is,” Gonzales said.
Even though speech and debate is a team effort, specific individuals have had major success in The Cannibals.
“One of our Lincoln-Douglas debaters finished in the top 15 in the country, and the pool started with 606 debaters,” Gonzales said.
Gonzales highlighted current seniors Andrew Applebaum and Alvin Chang, as well as newcomers to the program Mason Lang and Juno Keleman. He was also excited for Xander Bartlett, who was one of the many competing in the Linfield tournament held on Feb. 3.
More good fortunes are becoming of our Cannibals, because the documentary “Our Next Speaker” covering the speech and debate team is being produced and is expected to be released sometime in the first half of 2024 by filmmaker Dino Coons, a Clackamas High School speech and debate alumnus. Coons was the co-president of his 1997 team. This documentary will shed light on the mostly unknown story and practices that have led Cleveland to their dominant success. All of this effort will culminate in the path to state this spring, and the promise of a chance to tell their story will only envigorate them more.