12 seasons of Stellan Roberts

Roberts on the run. Rich Rollins photo.

By Anna Rollins, Reporter

Stellan Roberts is known throughout PIL for his athletic skill, teamwork and of course, his hair. On May 22, Roberts was named PIL Sportsman of the Year at the PIL Hall of Fame awards for his contributions on the field and in the classroom.

Throughout his past four years at Cleveland, Roberts participated on the varsity soccer, basketball and track and field teams, competing all 12 seasons. ¨Sports have been my favorite part of high school and my life before high school,¨ Roberts empathized. ¨I have really enjoyed going to a practice, representing the school and being part of a team everyday; it has been a lot of fun. Playing for Cleveland is what I’ll miss the most.¨

His work ethic was vital to his performances as he put in long hours to better himself in his athletic ability throughout his career.

“He always competed at a very high level,” track and field coach Steve Nims reminisced. “He is an excellent teammate, he is very positive, he is a good leader by example. He was someone you definity could count on. In class, he is an excellent student. He works very hard, he stays on top of his work. He challenges himself. He’s got great hair, you can’t overlook that.”

Roberts found the tricky balance that lays between hard work and having a good time. He has a wicked sense of humor and understood how and when to use it and when to suit up and get ready for business. ¨My parents have always pushed me to be good at sports but also made me understand that it is important to enjoy the sports,¨ Roberts explained. ¨I have always played at least three sports every year. Playing different sports has made me enjoy each one more.¨

This track and field season, Roberts brought home silver in both the 110 meter hurdles and the 300 meter hurdles at the PIL district meet. He competed in the Oregon Track and Field 6A state championship at Hayward Field for the first time in his career; he ran just .32 seconds over his personal record in the 110 meter hurdles placing 13th. ¨It was an honor,¨ Roberts said. ¨It feels good.¨

PIL Sportswoman of the Year was awarded to Grant  distance runner, Ella Donaghu.