Dragon Ball Super: Broly

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dragon Ball Super: Broly

By Nicolas Brown, reporter

“Dragon Ball” was created by Akira Toriyama in 1986 and according to general consensus is one of the best anime series of all time. It is about a child named Goku and his friends tracking down seven magic spheres that, when gathered together, can grant any wish. However, finding all seven is no easy task. Vicious enemies and dangerous adventures are around every corner.

The show started off by telling Goku’s childhood  journeys, but many Dragon Ball series have risen after the initial one, such as “Dragon Ball Z,” “Dragon Ball GT,” and “Dragon Ball Super.” At the end of the series, Goku has evolved to have the powers to rival the god of destruction, Beerus. He has fought countless tremendously powerful villains and has now has shattered reality itself.

My friend and I recently went to see the Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie at Century 16 Eastport Plaza theater and we were awestruck. We said that movie was freaking awesome, except we did not say freaking.

It tells the story of how the homeworld of the Saiyans was destroyed and how Broly survived. Broly is a Dragon Ball movie villain, who has appeared in a lot movies but was not part the main story until now. After being found by the Frieza force on a barren planet, Frieza takes him back to earth to settle the score with Goku and Vegeta. Once Broly is introduced to both the Saiyan, they proceed to fight. In typical Dragon Ball fashion, Vegeta does not start with his full power and Goku is none the wiser. Broly learns new skills as he fights and the Saiyans get overpowered. Goku decides to teleport away with Vegeta in hope of fusing and gaining power to defeat Broly.

The movie was extremely action-packed and immensely exciting. The animation was superb, the fighting was astonishing, and there was compelling character development. Unlike in Dragon Ball history where it is common to stop the fight to transform while talking to the enemy for 23 episodes (exaggeration), they decided to take a more realistic approach, having Goku and Vegeta transformed to different levels of power during the fight. Another part that was unexpected and electrifying was when they were fighting so hard reality shattered.

Overall I would rate this movie a 10 out of 10, especially if you’re a Dragon Ball fan. I recommend getting out to your local theater to see it before it leaves the big screen. You will love this movie.

About the Writer
Nicolas Brown, Reporter

I'm Nicolas, and I'm a senior at Cleveland. This is my first year as a reporter on the Clarion, and I will be writing a column. My favorite book is The...