Transit To Trails Club Is Back

Clarion photo via James Fuller
The Transit to Trails logo from James Fuller.

The Transit to Trails club is back for Cleveland High School’s 2023-24 school year! Transit to Trails is a club run by the beloved teacher James Fuller, and is dedicated to giving students access to structured, outdoor recreation.

“Our goal with Transit to Trails is to open up opportunities for sustainable, inclusive outdoor recreation to everyone in the Cleveland High School community,” says Fuller.

The group has been around since fall of 2021. Since then, they have done hikes every spring and fall. The club is open to anyone who is interested.

“Come join us to get some exercise, meet new people, and give your mental health a boost with time in nature! No experience needed–Transit to Trails is for everyone,” Fuller notes.

If you are interested in joining, the club meets every Wednesday at 3:30 p.m on the school’s front steps. They take an hour-long hike down to Reed Canyon on the Reed College Campus. On weekends they take on a variety of trails including Powell Butte Nature Park, Oaks Bottom, Marquam Nature Park, Washington Park, and Multnomah Springs. These hikes tend to last anywhere between two and five hours.

To find out more about Transit to Trails, email Mr. Fuller at [email protected], or join them Wednesdays after school.