Mice In The Kitchen! Culinary Moves To The Portables

Clarion photo Lucrezia Campari
A sign left on the culinary classroom door tells students to meet in Portable 1 while school officials deal with a rat infestation. The classes were expected to meet in the portable for about two weeks.
After returning from the strike break on Nov. 27, Chef Caitlyn Hacklander and the culinary classes moved to a portable classroom (Portable 1) due to a mouse infestation. The classes were expected to return to the culinary classroom by Dec. 11. (Clarion photo Lucrezia Campari)

As culinary students returned to class on Monday, Nov. 27, following the long break from the strike, they discovered that their classroom had been shut down due to a mouse infestation, prompting them to evacuate and reconstitute themselves in portable 1.

Without access to their kitchen and equipment, the classes are unable to cook or continue their curriculum.

“Monday, when we returned to school after the strike, I went into my classroom, and I actually thought a bag of black sesame seeds had spilled everywhere, and it was mouse poop,” Chef Caitlyn Hacklander said.

Due to the move, Hacklander has been forced to create lessons to teach students culinary without actually engaging in it. “Unfortunately, I found out we were doing this after I had bought a bunch of ingredients for cooking for the week,” Hacklander said. “Everybody is in this class because they really want to cook, and we are not cooking in the portable. No one wants to be back in there and cooking until we know there’s no mouse evidence.”

The exact timeline remains unclear, but progress has been made.

“We are hoping to reopen the room next week,” said Vice Principal Sean Murray on Dec. 6.

In the meantime, the focus is on sanitization.

“We are working to sanitize and clean the room, all the dishes, and check food supplies and ingredients,” said Murray.

Hacklander said that these types of setbacks are reasons why teachers fight for better working conditions. “This is what we strike for, to make sure we have a rodent free space,” she said, adding, “This is the first time we’ve ever had it in the culinary room, and it’s being taken very seriously because we literally cannot do our class,” she said.