Cleveland Alumni Sponsor New Welcome Sign

Clarion photo Lily Bunga-Stevens
Jan Watt, with the help of the alumni association, the booster club, and the PTA, raised enough money for a new school sign after the previous one was damaged in a car accident.

On the corner of 26th and Powell, there is a fresh sign for Cleveland High School. Students may have noticed it at lunch, or on the way to school, but–as of now–it remains bright, shiny, and free of any graffiti. Thanks to the efforts of Special Projects Coordinator Jan Watt, Cleveland was able to replace the previous sign–which was damaged by a car accident.

The previous sign was purchased by the alumni association, so the district’s risk management turned down Watt’s request for repair of the old sign. Watt said, “When [district risk management] turned me down, I knew I had to make it my mission to replace the sign.”

Watt reached out to the alumni association, PTA, and booster club for support in funding the sign replacement. They all graciously agreed to donate to the cause, so $1,500 was raised for the overall cost.

Watt thanks those involved for their contributions, and Cleveland now has a brand new sign, free of damage, for our school. “I care about how we’re perceived and I want people driving by to know we’re here,” said Watt.