CHS Gives Back breaks fundraising record

The Cleveland community raises nearly $14,000 for families in need
Clarion photo Lucrezia Campari
CHS Gives Back wall decoration at front of school. The fundraiser set a new record this year.

CHS Gives Back, an annual fundraiser for Cleveland High School families in need, raised a record-setting $13,584, leadership teacher Jessica Sawyer announced Thursday afternoon.

The fundraiser helps Cleveland families in need pay for bills, rent, groceries, holiday gifts and food. Last year the Cleveland community raised $12,819.

“I am thrilled to announce the remarkable success of our recent fundraiser, which raised an impressive $13,584, nearly $800 more than last year, setting a new record for the amount raised. This achievement is a testament to the generosity and support of each one of you,” Sawyer said on Dec. 21.

The day before Sawyer’s announcement, donations had totaled about $9,000, but then an additional surge of donations accounted for the final tally announced the following day. Sawyer explained that a significant part in the sudden surge of donations is thanks to the Class of 2023 leadership students. “Last year’s leadership class was given a certain amount of money from the CommuniCare work that they do, and we decided to reserve $1,000 from the graduating class of 2023 to give to CHS Gives Back this year,” she said.

She added that the rest of the $4,000 had been donated via School Pay on Wednesday night, which is consistent with past years of this fundraiser. “It kind of happened last year, too,” Sawyer said. “We were really down, and then the last three days it was a huge ramp up. I think it’s families and alumni donating at the last minute because they want other students and families to do most of the donating, and then they contribute at the end.”

Lots of students also felt motivated by the exciting incentives they will get to see at the upcoming assembly, such as teachers getting pied in the face, getting dyed hair, being taped to a wall, having a rap battle, eating the famous elf spaghetti dinner, and performing the Mean Girls dance in costume. Reaching the full goal means that all of the incentives will be seen at the assembly, the date of which will be announced soon.

Within the freshman academy competition, Pacific Academy raised the most with $1,058, and the junior class raised a total of $3,315, earning the top spot in the class competition.