Student-Designed Shirt About Respecting Identity Successfully Distributed

Clarion photo Abbey Olson
“Respect People’s Identities” shirt is on sale. Check out the QR code on this story.

C.A.R.E. Leadership made it easier than ever to support criminal justice reform by creating a custom shirt as a fundraiser. The shirt was designed by student Abbey Olson and came in two variations: white ink on a black base and black ink on a lavender base. The design focuses on text which reads, “RESPECT PEOPLE’S IDENTITIES,” although it also has other artistic elements including a cloud and an umbrella.

“Respect People’s Identities” shirt is on sale. Check out the QR code on this story. (Clarion photo Abbey Olson)

The C.A.R.E. class explained in their mission statement, “Since the injustices in the criminal justice system is a persistent systemic issue that disproportionately impacts BIPOC, we believe there needs to be services that directly aid people within the system including those who have exited it to exercise their rights.”

Each shirt cost $18 regardless of size, was printed at Cleveland, and overseen by class advisor Ezra Ereckson. All proceeds go directly to Portland-based organizations focusing on criminal justice reform. Students are able to buy the shirt on SchoolPay or via email with paying in person.

Ereckson explained, “Overall it went well. […] The shirt sales were lower than what we had expected.”

C.A.R.E also has plans for other similar fundraising efforts in the future.

The QR code to order the t-shirt. (Clarion photo Abbey Olson)