Cleveland’s Jazz Band Wins PIL Jazz Contest

Clarion photo For the Clarion
The Jazz band performs at the PIL Jazz Competition.

The Jazz Ensemble from Cleveland continues to perform well after recent results in the 2024 PIL Jazz Festival on Feb. 3.
“Grant High School has won every year since I’ve been here [starting in the 2015-2016 school year],” said Cleveland’s Band Director Gary Riler.
This year, Cleveland broke the streak by placing first with qualifying scores from all three judges.
According to Riler, “it was one of those situations where it could have gone either way.”
Regardless, this placement guarantees Cleveland a spot at the State Jazz Championships, which will take place on May 18 at Mt Hood Community College. Bands from Grant and Roosevelt also qualified from the PIL Jazz Contest.
In the meantime, Riler hopes to switch out several songs and improve other aspects of their performance.
“I think as long as the group continues to be willing to work hard on those really fine details, they can get better,” said Riler.
Cleveland’s chances will also be helped by some of their star performances. There are plenty to choose from, with Cooper Headrick (woodwind) and Tai Friel (brass) both receiving an outstanding soloist award (one of two awarded) at the festival as well as vocalist Tonantzin Ramirez, who received an overall outstanding soloist award.
“When you go to state you’re just excited you’re there to be honest…I mean, when you get done and they decide who’s first, that’s great, but really, you’re just trying to have a performance where your audience is excited about what they’re hearing and you feel good about it,” said Riler.