PPS Student Walk-Out for Peace in Gaza

Joint post from Clevelandhs.leadership and PPS_Studentsforpalestine

A student walkout has been planned for today, March 15, to demand that the Portland Public School district makes a statement “condemning the genocide in Gaza,” among other demands.

The Instagram Account “PPS_Studentsforpalestine” made a post for a “call to action” for all PPS students for a “peace walkout on March 15” in collaboration with Next Up. Other demands include education about settler colonialism and Palestine, and cutting ties with companies complicit in Israeli occupation.

Organizers plan to hold a rally at district headquarters, 501 N. Dixon St., at 3:15 p.m. Students around the district are called to peacefully walk out of their classes at various times to arrive on time. Cleveland students plan to walkout at 2 p.m., sources said.

The district sent out information to families and students, notifying them that this is not a district-sponsored event. Students who leave class are allowed to leave, but are subject to making up any classwork based on the school or classroom policies.

Cleveland Principal JoAnn Wadkins also sent out an email to families and students and asked students to be respectful and stay safe and follow the district protocols. She also asked students to not wear any items in support of their cause during the school day, and to change into them when they walk out.
“Please know that we want all of our students to feel safe. The Middle East conflict is very complex. Voices and perspectives are diverse. We fully support our students to express themselves and to do so in a way that does not hurt and harm other students,” Wadkins said.
(More updates will be provided later).