Athlete of the Month: March

Lucas+Geren+is+off+to+a+hot+start+in+baseball+and+is+the+Cleveland+athlete+of+the+month.+
Clarion photo Wes Whisnand
Lucas Geren is off to a hot start in baseball and is the Cleveland athlete of the month.

Senior Lucas Geren has been a standout player for the Cleveland baseball team this spring. With a .400 batting average, nine doubles, 11 runs batted in, and 10 runs at the time of writing, Geren leads the Warriors in all four stats. He has also been lights out on the mound, with a 1.31 earned run average and 31 strikeouts in 21 and ⅓ innings of work.

Geren has been playing baseball since he was five years old, beginning with t-ball. He has spent all four years of his high school career on varsity and plays as a first and third baseman and pitcher. His favorite moment in his career was during his freshman year.

“I hit a grand slam and threw a perfect game in the same game my freshman year,” Geren said. “It was a crazy accomplishment.”

Geren has been happy with how the team has performed this season, the first under new coach Bradley Blocker. The team is currently at 7-8 and ranked fourth in PIL.

“The season has been good so far. Our team chemistry has helped win us some games, and led to some early success,” Geren said.

Cleveland’s baseball team went on a team bonding trip to Arizona early on in the season. Both Coach Blocker and Geren said this trip helped to boost team morale and bring the players closer together.

Geren has high hopes for the rest of the season and the future of Cleveland baseball, saying, “We want to finish the season with a winning record, beat Grant, and make a deep playoff run. We also have a bunch of young talent, and coach Blocker is doing a great job building up the program,” he said.

When asked about his personal goals for the year, Geren said, “I want to hit 500 and I think I have a chance at winning player of the year, which would be amazing.”

Geren will continue his baseball career at Eastern Oregon University next year.