Two CHS Graduates Win Music Scholarships

The Oregon Music Hall of Fame Awards Maya Hausman and Lucy Ferguson scholarships worth $2,500 apiece
Clarion photo Irelin barta
A Choir prepares for state.

The Oregon Music Hall of Fame awarded seven 2023 graduates scholarships worth $2,500 on Tuesday, July 11. Two of the seven students are Cleveland graduates: Maya Hausman, a flute, piccolo and clarinet player, and Lucy Ferguson, a vocalist.

Hausman will attend Stanford University in the fall, where she plans to earn a double major in music and public policy. Ferguson, an award-winning vocalist, won the Gloria Johnson Women in Music Scholarship. She plans to major in choral music education and minor in vocal performance at Puget Sound University. 

The other students who earned scholarships were Erin Shogren of Westview, Samuel Banton of McNary, Matthew Chan of Oregon Episcopal, Daniel Huang of South Eugene, and Aiden Wilson of McNary. 

The Cleveland students, along with the other students, were introduced and performed at a press conference on July 11 at the Tony Starlight Showroom in southeast Portland. 

In addition, the Oregon Music Hall of Fame announced this year’s year’s Hall of Fame Inductees, the Artist of the Year, the Album of the Year, and the talent playing the 16th Annual Induction Ceremony on Saturday, Oct. 7 at the Aladdin Theater. Tony Starlight will host the ceremonies.