Thespians Sweep Regional Competition

Clarion photo Michael Payne
From left to right: Adelaide Bracewell-Stokes, Maddison Easlon, and Moxley Cross displaying their act for the Thespians Showcase.

Cleveland’s theater students recently exhibited their exceptional talent at the Oregon Thespian Regional Acting Competition. Over the course of the four day event Feb. 3-6 they swept the competition, earning more individual, duo and group awards as finalists (top 20%) and state qualifiers (top 10%) than any other theater troupe in PPS and the regional Northwest, according to Michael Payne, Cleveland’s theater teacher.
State qualifiers include Sela Loo and Willa Fish in Novice Duo Dramatic Acting, Amalea Krill and Ethan Daley in Experienced Solo Acting, while also being finalists in Experienced Duo Comedic. The Small Group Acting team includes Moxley Cross, Madison Easlon, and Adelaide Bracewell-Stokes. Bracewell-Stokes and Cross also, independently, became finalists in Experienced Solo Acting.
“My favorite part of regionals is being able to go and see all these other actors, and make friends, and bring their talent into my own artistry to gain more experience,” Bracewell-Stokes said.
Other regional finalists include Peter Shinalut in Novice Solo Musical, Nadia LeClere in Experienced Solo Musical, Peyton Lamberth in Experienced Solo Musicals, and the duo of Xitlali and Tonantzin Ramirez in Experienced Duet Musical. Rachael Kaufman became a finalist with Theo Gillete in Experienced Duo Comedic and Experienced Solo Acting separately, while Piper Woodworth and Siena Pagliarulo made it into the top 20% in Novice Duo Dramatic.
Kaufman said, “Seeing the sense of community with other schools and theater programs is always really fun, getting to see each other, make friends, and get feedback from professionals, it was great!”