Lanyards: The Controversy & How to Style Them

Clarion photo Minying Zhen
Students are wearing the new lanyards handed out by Cleveland High School.

A new safety innovation at PPS high schools is being put in place this year, and it’s one that some feel is a threat to their style. Along with showing security guards student IDs, students are now required to wear lanyards. At Cleveland, regardless of how you feel about it, you gotta wear it.
However, they can be styled in lots of cute and fashionable ways. Loungewear is always a great option because it just makes sense with a lanyard. The cozy outfits don’t clash with it, and instead give an offhand, casual look to a more professional accessory. Junior Lily Bunga-Stevens is a lanyard advocate, and loves styling it with casual outfits.
“I love the suburban look it gives. Kids in the suburbs are really proud of where they go to school, so they wear their lanyards with absolutely no self-consciousness, and they are proud to show where they go to school.”
Bunga-Stevens added that sweatpants and Uggs pull the whole look together in an effortless way. “You see those outfits with the lanyard and think, ‘you know what? I want to be them.’ It just makes you want to hold a Stanley cup!”
Who says you need to keep the Kelly Green lanyard? Campus Safety Associate Amy Papasadero points out that students can get creative with their lanyards.
“You can use any lanyard you want. As long as I can see your ID, I’m fine with it. It can even be hanging out of your pocket,” Papasadero said.
In closing, remember that you can make your lanyard your own! Senior Sarah Pender talked about the limitless ways students can add to a lanyard. “Personally, I am waiting for someone to bedazzle their lanyard,” she said.
At the end of the day, style is important, but we’d argue keeping our community safe by wearing our lanyards is far more crucial in the long run. We love our lanyards. You should too.