The Rise of TikTok Shop

Collage of popular items on Tik Tok shop.

With the rise of fast fashion and online shopping in recent years, social media platforms have begun using e-commerce as a way to translate their trendsetting power into a new revenue stream. Most recently, Tik Tok has introduced Tik Tok shop, their addition to the cybershopping mania.
Tik Tok shop launched in September of 2023, advertising a new shopping culture through live streams and “shoppable” videos. The goal of the shop is to help build businesses and create an engaging platform for users to buy from. Tik Tok shop is advertised all over the place, but here we ask the important question: is Tik Tok shop worth it?
“I’m 100% pro-Tik Tok shop,” says junior Lily Bunga-Stevens. “At first I was skeptical because some of the stuff is so cheap, but I ordered a sweater and a phone case, and I really like both of them. And they were good quality and like, really, really cheap.”
As of now, Tik Tok is also giving generous coupons and discounts to shoppers. Links on profiles of businesses and tagged products in videos and live streams allow shoppers to quickly purchase products. Constant ads in between videos are used to promote the shop and various products.
“They have these weird deals and stuff that’s super on sale,” junior Lloy Bartolotti says. “Just because stuff is super on sale doesn’t mean you need it.”
While the easy accessibility of the shopping platform is beneficial for users, there are also concerns around how it contributes to overconsumption.
“I fall victim to consumption all the time … and it kind of promotes consumption of things we don’t need, which is hard,” said Bunga-Stevens. “I also don’t know where the products are coming from and like, the ethics of it, it’s also probably part fast-fashion.”
Worries around the ethics behind the fast-fashion online industry are unavoidable. Similar concerns are brought up with online stores like Shein and Temu. While these sites are not directly on Tik Tok, they are commonly advertised on the app. Similarly to Tik Tok shop, their products are also cheap and easily accessible.
Despite concerns, users have claimed Tik Tok shop a trustworthy site. While the layout of the shop makes it easy to purchase and find products you are interested in, it’s important to remember not to go overboard.
“Tik Tok shop is good in small doses, don’t go crazy with it,” concludes Bunga-Stevens. “That’s my advice.”