Girls Soccer Continues Historic Run Into State Championship

Clarion photo @CHS.WS
Cleveland Girls Soccer Holding Up “W’s” After Their Win

The Cleveland girls soccer team’s win over Mountainside propelled them into the state semifinals, the furthest the team had ever made it. The Warriors did not let their historical run stop there. In their final home game of the season on Nov. 7, Cleveland dominated West Linn 3-0, securing a spot in the state championship against Grant. If they defeat the Generals this Saturday, the Warriors will make history by becoming the first team in school history to win a state championship.

The game was not an easy task for the Warriors. No. 8 West Linn had not allowed a goal in the three previous matches, and the Lions had knocked off top-seeded Jesuit the round before. Still, Cleveland had beaten West Linn 2-1 earlier in the season, so the Warriors had confidence going into the matchup.

“Beating West Linn in the preseason was helpful for us because we knew their playing style. Having game film was also helpful and we prepared with that as well. I think we went into the game confident in our abilities and we knew that they really wanted it. So we just had to stay locked in and that’s what we did,” stated starting goalkeeper, Junior Lloy Bartolotti.

Cleveland controlled the tempo of the game early on. Elsie Koehler scored a penalty in the 17th minute to make it 1-0. Four minutes later, Lola Pierce made it 2-0, smashing it into the far corner off a through ball from Mason Bregoli. West Linn continued to turn away chances from the Warriors, but Cleveland eventually put the nail in the coffin with two minutes remaining when Emma Bass deflected a cross from the left wing in at the near post. Warriors fans and players celebrated following the historic 3-0 victory.

The Warriors will take on Grant this weekend in an exciting matchup. With the Generals ranked No. 2 and the Warriors at No. 4, both teams have shown they are capable of playing a high quality game. Cleveland has a record of 15 wins, 1 loss, and 3 draws, and Grant is at 16 wins, 2 losses, and 1 draw. Both defenses have dominated during the playoffs, each only allowing one goal. When the teams met on Oct. 6 at Delta Park, the match ended in a 1-1 draw. Additionally, this is the first time ever that there has been an all-PIL final.

“It’s definitely exciting,” Bartolotti said. “Grant and Cleveland games no matter what sport are always fun, so I’m excited for the atmosphere that two PIL teams in the championship will create.”
The Warriors and the Generals will play for the championship on Saturday, Nov. 11 at 6 p.m. at Sherwood High School. Players on the girls soccer team want to encourage fans to “Show up, rep the Warriors, and be loud. The Land has a chance to make school history.”