Get a Job: Where Cleveland Students are Working

Delila Denton (junior)
Where do you work? Crisp Salads.
What type of job do you have? Food.
Do you get tips? Yes
What’s one of the craziest things that’s happened to you while you were working? Once some man came in and got as close to me and my coworker as he could, and started telling us about how he was in jail and now wants to be a comedian. And then told us about how he dealt and did crack.
What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? I love my coworkers and how close we all are, and that we can get out by 8 p.m. My least favorite part is probably how some shifts can be crazy busy but then some are so slow and we barely make any salads.
Is there a dress code? No dress code, you just have to have your hair up.
What’s one of the most valuable things you’ve learned from your job that you think will help you in the future? Sense of community and time management.
Are you hiring? I think so.
How much do you get paid? $15.45 per hour.

Sam Van Oostrum (senior)
Where do you work? Youth Music Project.
What type of job do you have? Internship at a music school.
Do you get tips? No.
What’s one of the craziest things that’s happened to you while you were working? One time, while hosting an Open Mic, someone came onstage in a bunny costume and ran around the room.
What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? My favorite part is watching the kids get more comfortable with their instruments and also all of the opportunities I get to perform. The hardest part of my job is probably having to deal with kids that have a ton of energy.
Is there a dress code? No
What’s one of the most valuable things you’ve learned from your job that you think will help you in the future? Being able to work with people to create opportunities for each other and help kids find a love and dedication to something that will be with them forever!
Are you hiring? I think so.
How much do you get paid? $15.75 per hour.

Lucia Gorini (junior)
Where do you work? All around basically, I’m an assistant midwife. In Washington, at people’s houses, and at my house sometimes.
What type of job do you have? Delivering babies.
Do you get tips? No
What’s one of the craziest things that’s happened to you while you were working? 12 pound baby, and a lady who was pregnant for 10 months and 28 days overdue. Also a baby being born in a toilet, and having to fish the baby out of the toilet.
What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? Favorite: the money. Least favorite: blood and guts.
Is there a dress code? Yeah, you have to dress very modestly because the people are pretty religious.
What’s one of the most valuable things you’ve learned from your job that you think will help you in the future? Get the epidural. Trust me.
Are you hiring? No
How much do you get paid? Enough.

Stella Chen (junior)
Where do you work? Columbia Sportswear
What type of job do you have? Very customer service-based retail.
Do you get tips? No.
What’s one of the craziest things that’s happened to you while you were working? We get a lot of theft, to the point where we had to get a security guard to stand at the door. I also had a lady bring up $600 worth of stuff, and then try to pay me with a credit card that had $1.50 on it, and then tried to grab her stuff and walk out after only $1.50 had been paid.
What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? I like doing projects because we get to make displays, like hats and gloves.
Is there a dress code? We’re supposed to wear something Columbia or else just something unbranded. It’s a pretty loose dress code.
What’s one of the most valuable things you’ve learned from your job that you think will help you in the future? Balancing work and school, and time management/being on-time to stuff.
Are you hiring? No.
How much do you get paid? $16 per hour.

Yoko Magee (junior)
Where do you work? Goodwill.
What type of job do you have? Retail–I put away clothes and shoes and sometimes, I price stuff or tag clothes.
Do you get tips? No, retail doesn’t really get tips.
What’s one of the craziest things that’s happened to you while you were working? Really recently this woman came in with an empty baby stroller and filled up the entire stroller with clothes and shoes and waited for like five hours until we were closing. My supervisor was standing by the door and was like, “we’re closing, are you gonna pay for that?” And she starts screaming at us and pulls out a can of bear mace and threatens to spray my supervisor if she doesn’t get out of the way. So then we got robbed and had to call the police and they had to do an investigation.
What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? My favorite parts are just listening to music and putting away clothes, or sorting through jewelry–I love sorting through jewelry. My least favorite part is pricing shoes.
Is there a dress code? If you are a cashier you can’t wear jeans, you have to wear khakis or business pants, but I’m not a cashier, so I can wear jeans. You’re not supposed to wear leggings or sweatpants, no tank tops, dresses, skirts, or crop tops. And we wear a Goodwill vest.
What’s one of the most valuable things you’ve learned from your job that you think will help you in the future? Probably communication and customer service. It’s really hard to deal with people, I’ve come to realize, especially strangers. In most careers, you probably will be interacting with a lot of people and I want to go to nursing school so I’m going to be interacting with a lot of people. Overall, patience, time management, especially balancing work and school. That’s a really important lesson, especially for college.
Are you hiring? Yeah, we’re hiring cashiers at the moment.
How much do you get paid? $16.10 an hour, but that’s because I got an increase from working there for a year. You get hired at minimum wage though.

Shea Appleyard (junior)
Where do you work? Pure Greens in Sellwood–it’s a juice bar that just opened up two months ago.
What type of job do you have? It’s food service.
Do you get tips? I do, we split the tips based on who’s working that day.
What’s one of the craziest things that’s happened to you while you were working? We did recently get robbed, so that was a little crazy, because I don’t know who’s stealing from a juice bar. And they didn’t even take our juices, they took our third party snacks, so that was weird, but nothing too crazy besides that.
What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? I love customer service and I meet so many cool people. It’s really awesome being a part of a local business and feeling connected to the community, and it’s just taught me a lot about work ethic, compromising with people, and the importance of communication in general. I hate doing dishes, I get all wet and covered in food constantly. But I love making the smoothies, they’re so fun to make and it’s nice to promote something that’s good for people.
Is there a dress code? We have a uniform, it’s a Pure Greens issued shirt and a visor–it’s cute though. And we can wear any bottoms/shoes we want, and we’re allowed to wear jewelry and everything. My boss is very into us expressing our styles and that’s really cool.
What’s one of the most valuable things you’ve learned from your job that you think will help you in the future? Working for a local business, you’re much more conscious about your waste and how much you actually need to produce to meet demand. It makes me more conscious about my food waste, as well as my environment, and so that’s really beneficial.
Are you hiring? We are hiring full time positions, so people who can work in the day, ideally not high-schoolers. But definitely people who are 18 and older!
How much do you get paid? $16 per hour.

Gia Rodenbush (junior)
Where do you work? Oaks Park! I work at the outside food stand and I was lucky enough to be moved into the roller rink over the winter so I’m in concessions.
What type of job do you have? Food service, and I am mostly cooking. I started off doing more cashier work but as I’ve spent more time I’ve learned how to cook.
Do you get tips? We get cash tips which usually don’t bring in as much as credit card tips. But once things are in full swing by summer, tips should be a pretty big chunk of the paycheck.
What’s one of the craziest things that’s happened to you while you were working? A lot of people puke–one time somebody puked in our food stand. But nothing other than the classic mean customer, nothing too crazy.
What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? My favorite part is probably the community that I’ve built at the job, and I feel like we all support each other in a way that you don’t really see in other places–especially for the variety of age. My least favorite part is probably dealing with food all the time and coming home smelling like frying oil, but that’s a more temporary thing. And of course rude customers, but I don’t really have to deal with that anymore.
Is there a dress code? We can’t wear any pants with holes in them and they have to be all one color. We also have to wear an Oaks Park branded shirt, and if we wear any hats or sweaters they have to be Oaks Park branded.
What’s one of the most valuable things you’ve learned from your job that you think will help you in the future? Patience, and that patience is a two-way street. I have to be patient with a lot of customers and I expect that they will have the same patience with me. I’ve learned to be patient with myself, with the customers, and with my co-workers.
Are you hiring? Yes! Applications open after the job fair (Feb. 25 from 1-6 p.m.) and there should be flyers posted around the school with QR codes as well. We do need a lot more people, especially in concessions, so if you’re interested in a fun, chill job where you actually get along and make connections with your co-workers then I would say Oaks is a great place. It’s a really good first job and I’ve been working there for nearly a year now.
How much do you get paid? Everyone starts at the base level of minimum wage, and currently I’m paid $15.95.

Hattie White (senior)
Where do you work? I work at Benson Amps.
What type of job do you have? It’s an online store and so I work in a warehouse and I do factory work, basically.
Do you get tips? I do not.
What’s one of the craziest things that’s happened to you while you were working? Nothing really crazy, my job doesn’t really consist of being with people other than my coworkers and so usually I’m just working with my headphones on.
What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? My favorite part of my job is the creativity about it. It’s my first job and I’ve worked there for about a year now, and it’s been such a great first job experience. I really enjoy that I’m doing something and making something, and I feel like I’ve achieved something after I finish each amp. The thing I don’t like is that it’s a very anxious job. You can’t mess up and if you do you have to redo it, and so that part is stressful because there’s high pressure.
Is there a dress code? There is no dress code because you have to wear clothes you don’t really care about since you’re working with glue and chemicals.
What’s one of the most valuable things you’ve learned from your job that you think will help you in the future? The biggest thing for me is being able to trust myself. I’ve learned so much from this job and it’s challenged me to be braver when it comes to believing in myself and what I’m capable of. Also being with coworkers and working in that environment is a great experience in itself, plus it’s in the music industry which I want to pursue later on!
Are you hiring? We never really have signs for hiring, but there’s times when we need people or people quit. There’s never really an advertised hiring, so it’s unclear.
How much do you get paid? I used to get paid $16 an hour, and then since I’ve worked there so long I got a performance raise and now I get $17.

Drew Sykes (junior)
Where do you work? Stronger Skatepark
What type of job do you have? It’s mostly retail and selling stuff so working at the desk and selling passes and skate stuff, but I also teach camps and lessons
Do you get tips? Not really. Private lessons sometimes get tips, but I’ve received one tip while working there.
What’s one of the craziest things that’s happened to you while you were working? I usually work night shifts so I’ll be closing and the parking lot next to it is like a strip mall, so wild stuff happens. A couple weeks ago a full SWAT team showed up with shotguns and assault rifles to search this one homeless guy who didn’t have anything on him, and they gave him a $50 VISA gift card as an apology.
What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? My favorite part is teaching kids, that part is super fun and super lit. As well as working the shop which can be fun, like selling stuff and setting up skateboards. The worst part is cleaning because we have to clean the whole park at the end of the night.
Is there a dress code? I once got yelled at for wearing a shirt that said, “in dog beers I’ve only had one,” so basically just what I can wear around kids.
What’s one of the most valuable things you’ve learned from your job that you think will help you in the future? How to talk to customers and use a retail system, as well as working with kids, is always useful. All that stuff and just having responsibilities, like I’m really good at mopping.
Are you hiring? We aren’t really hiring for the shop but we are hiring for summer camps. So if you skate and you’re 16 or over, hit us up!
How much do you get paid? I make $16 an hour, and then when I’m teaching classes it’s more so I get like $30 an hour.

Ella Korin (junior)
Where do you work? An Italian restaurant called La Buca
What type of job do you have? I would say it’s food service, I’m a host.
Do you get tips? Kind of. I get a percentage of what we make every night, so it’s not really tips but they call it that.
What’s one of the craziest things that’s happened to you while you were working? I’ve had some bad, mean customers, or like some grumpy, grumpy people. With every meal we give bread, oil, and vinegar, and there’s this one guy that orders extra containers of oil. He pours it into his meal and gets like, four tablespoons of oil, pours it into his pasta dish and eats it like that.
What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? My favorites are that every night I get a shift meal and my coworkers are awesome–they’re great people. My least favorite part is when it’s not busy because it’s super boring and you have to act busy, so that’s stressful!
Is there a dress code? You can’t have any stains or rips on your clothes, but it’s like wear clothes that you think would be appropriate for the job. You can’t wear any brands, hoodies, or hats, but besides that, it’s like wear mostly nice clothes and you’re fine.
What’s one of the most valuable things you’ve learned from your job that you think will help you in the future? Service work helps you interact with people and learn how to interact in a workspace, and that’s not a skill that a lot of people know. More than basic manners, knowing how to treat someone when you are their server is a super big skill to learn. And also, I have to learn how to carry so many things at once, so I’ll have to hold like three cups in one hand and one in the other, and that’s a crazy skill!
Are you hiring? I don’t think so. I think we might be hiring servers, but we’re not hiring hosts which is what I am.
How much do you get paid? I think I get paid like, minimum wage.

Maddy Dumas (senior)
Where do you work? Fuchsia
What type of job do you have? I work in retail
Do you get tips? I do not, but I get a bonus.
What’s one of the craziest things that’s happened to you while you were working? A woman came in after brunch and was in a very interesting mood–she was a little bit frustrated because her friends shopped faster than she did. Her card declined, and she threw it at me trying to tap it on the machine, and then proceeded to be very rude for the next five minutes while we waited for the machine to restart because her card froze the machine.
What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? I have quite a few favorites; I really, really love my boss–she’s very lovely to work for. I also really enjoy when we get new jewelry in and I get to restock and make new displays, and when I get to do the window displays and people compliment them. My least favorite thing though, is sometimes it’s not inclusive because it is resale clothing. You know, sometimes we don’t have a larger size or a super small size because things aren’t of those brands and that’s what she’s trying to sell.
Is there a dress code? No.
What’s one of the most valuable things you’ve learned from your job that you think will help you in the future? If someone came in and treated me badly, I can’t act rude to the next person because you have to give them the same experience every time. It shows that even giving people a smile gives them a better day
Are you hiring? No.
How much do you get paid? $15-20 per hour(I also babysit).