Filed under Soccer, Sports

Warriors remain undefeated in league, claim PIL championship

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Lauryn Ruegg maintains control of the ball in the final league match of the regular season Oct. 19 against Franklin. The Warriors won 7-0 and completed an undefeated regular season and first place finish in the Portland Interscholastic League.

Clarion photo Jaden Rapoport

Clarion photo Jaden Rapoport

Clarion photo Jaden Rapoport

The Warriors (11-1-1, 6-0) cruised to a 7-0 win over the Franklin Quakers (2-7-4, 1-4-1) on Oct. 19 in their final league game of the season. Since they were undefeated in league, they are officially PIL champions.

“I’m extremely proud of this team for achieving our goals of protecting our home field, winning the PIL, and being undefeated in league,” Head Coach Emily Ngan said. “I have 18 strong players that do a tremendous job of setting the bar for being a student athlete in our program.”

Even though the Warriors won, they remain ranked fourth in state. They likely did not move up because OSAA factors in the strength of the opponent in rankings.

According to OSAA rules, league champions automatically get to play their first playoff match on their home field. Rankings officially freeze on Oct. 21, and will be followed by the announcement of this year’s playoff brackets.

Clarion photo Jaden Rapoport

About the Writer
Mirabella Miller, Editor in Chief

I’m Mirabella Miller, and I am the editor in chief of the commentary section. This is my third year on the Clarion, and I am a currently a senior at...