Boys Soccer: Four Players Make Debuts as Cleveland falls 4-1 in Season Opener

Senior+Mario+Lemus+beats+a+Jesuit+defender+in+the+Warriors%27+opening+varsity+soccer+game+on+Aug.+27.++Cleveland+lost+4-1.+
Senior Mario Lemus beats a Jesuit defender in the Warriors' opening varsity soccer game on Aug. 27.  Cleveland lost 4-1.

Senior Mario Lemus beats a Jesuit defender in the Warriors' opening varsity soccer game on Aug. 27. Cleveland lost 4-1.

Clarion photo Jaden Rapaport

Clarion photo Jaden Rapaport

By Jaden Rapaport

The new school year is upon us which also means the start of the soccer season. For the Warriors, this meant a trip to Delta Park to face the Jesuit Crusaders who were runners up last campaign and semifinalists in the year prior.

After their run to the round of 16 last year and their crushing defeat down in Grants Pass on penalties, the Warriors were desperate to get back on the pitch, but in the first 10 minutes, they found themselves a goal down.

About 15 minutes into the second half, Jesuit got their second, and two minutes later, they bagged their third, and later a fourth, putting the game out of reach.

The Warriors were able to bag a consolation goal when senior Kaden Bruner headed one in, giving Cleveland a positive take away from the game. Additionally, junior Jett Starr played very well in midfield and center back, Joey Vollert proved he had high potential as he joins Mohammed Mohammed as the only sophomores on the team.

The Warriors’ next game was scheduled Aug. 30 against West Linn. Results will be posted online.

About the Writer
Jaden Rapaport, Reporter
I’m Jaden, and I’m a junior at Cleveland. This is my second year as a reporter on the Clarion, and I like to write sports stories and take photos. My favorite book is Harry Potter, my favorite movie is Lion King, and my favorite food is sushi.