September Faces on the Field

fotf-volleyballElla Ristvedt

After a triumphant win against Wilson Sept. 22, Cleveland’s Ella Ristvedt was able to walk away proud for her amazing passes made that night.  The junior captain is a libero on varsity volleyball for the third year in a row. Her job, which is digging hits from the other team and stepping up to get the ball over the net when the ball is shanked, has proved successful, considering the team’s record is 6-2 so far this season. With the help of Ristvedt, Cleveland won against Wilson three games to one. “I was really hoping to win against Wilson this game and it felt really good when we did,” she said. “My serves went over and I got the ball up almost every time.” Wilson’s hitters have been a part of their success, and due to Ristvedt, Cleveland was able to overcome this barrier.

fotf-allisonAllison MacMillan

Allison MacMillan has been a vital part of the Cleveland girls soccer program ever since she stepped onto the field, and has played a huge part in leading the Warriors to a state rank of 21. Allison, a captain this year, helped lead her team to a season opening win against Liberty by a score of 4-0. She plays left back, but doesn’t let that stop her from finding the back of the net, already scoring a goal this year. “There are a lot of freshman but we just have have to work as a team. It’s looking good,” she says about the season’s prospects. She’s looking for a win in the next game against Franklin on Sept. 27, when the Warriors open up league play.

fotf-dawson

Dawson Currin

Dawson Currin is a senior and has played soccer all four years he’s been at Cleveland. He plays both outside back and midfield. This season, he is on varsity after swinging last year. Although he hasn’t scored he’s added to both the attack and defense with his speed and skill. Currin has been enjoying this season a lot so far. “My favorite part of playing for Cleveland is my teammates,” said Currin. “Everyone’s really chill and we all like each other a lot.” Overall Currin seems to be having a great season both on and off the field.

Finn Kemper

Finn Kemper is a second year cross country runner for Cleveland. His most recent cross country meet was the PIL Relays meet at Pier Park in St. Johns. The PIL Relays meet was a different experience in comparison to the normal cross country meets, as runners were only to run one mile before handing off a baton to continue the relay, rather than complete individually the normal three miles in standard meets. “This meet greatly favored track and field runners,” said Kemper. “I was the anchor on my team because of my experience in track and field in the springtime. My favorite race is the 1600 meters so that really helped me in the PIL Relay and I think that’s why my relay team did pretty well!” After the Cleveland first team finished 10th in the overall rankings of the PIL Relays, the Cleveland team looks forward to improving in their upcoming meets.

fotf-arturoArturo Flores-Cruz

Arturo Flores-Cruz is in his fourth year of playing football and is currently a running back and a linebacker for the varsity football team. Flores-Cruz has played varsity for three years.  “I love it. It’s something I enjoy doing and I will miss just being around your friends, working hard, and putting the effort each week. There’s nothing more fun than playing football with your friends,” he said. Flores has stepped into the starting running back role this year and hopes this year will be better than last, even with veteran lineman Daniel McIlveen out for the season. Through the first three games, Flores-Cruz is the second leading rusher on the team.

About the Contributors
Allie Montgomery, Reporter

Position within Newspaper: Reporter, photographer

Graduation year: 2018

Favorite thing to do: Watching movies, going on adventures with my friends, and baking

Favorite book: I would have to say Paper Towns by John Green. I use it as a guideline when I want to do something adventurous.

Favorite movie: I would have to say Clueless or She’s The Man. I can’t really choose a favorite, but I’m able to see those over and over and still be very entertained.

Favorite food: Mexican food! My diet could be burritos for a straight week and I would be very content.

Favorite quote: “The roof is not my son, but I will raise it.” -Xavier Woods

Tillman Degens, Reporter

Position within the newspaper: Reporter

Graduation year: 2017

Favorite thing to do: Ski

Favorite book: The Godfather

Favorite movie: The Wolf of Wall Street

Favorite food: Chicken Wings

Favorite Quote: ¨There is nothing to fear but fear itself”-Tillman Degens

Sam Gavitte, Reporter

Position within Newspaper: Reporter

Graduation Year: 2017

Favorite thing to do: Sleeping

Favorite book: One Hundred of Solitude

Favorite movie: Sharknado

Favorite food: Ramen

Favorite quote: “I’m in the kitchen, yams everywhere,” -2 Chainz

Noah Kemper, Reporter

Name: Noah Kemper

Position within Newspaper: Reporter

Graduation Year: 2017

Favorite thing to do: I love traveling, hanging out with friends, and playing sports

Favorite book: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Favorite movie: The Lord of the Rings Series

Favorite food: Sushi

Favorite quote: “Difficult things take a long time; impossible things, a little longer.” – Dr. Andre A. Jackson

Riley Buerk, Reporter

Name: Riley Buerk

Position: Reporter

Graduation year: 2017

Favorite thing to do: Play Basketball

Favorite book: Don’t Put Me In Coach by Mark Titus

Favorite movie: Happy Gilmore

Favorite food: Pizza

Favorite quote:You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you” -Yogi Berra

Ashley Lytle, Editor-in-Chief

Position: Editor-in-Chief, Online Editor, Page Editor, Photographer, Videographer

Graduation year: Class of 2017

Favorite thing to do: Hang out with friends by either going out somewhere or more commonly watching movies or Netflix and cooking. I also enjoy just hanging out at home with my kitty,  Willow.

Favorite book: I tend to be drawn to series. But when I’m not entranced by one, I read fictional stories, usually action-oriented or surrounded by mystery. I’m a sucker for a good mystery or thriller.

Favorite movie: My love of movies makes it impossible to settle on a favorite, at least for long. I will say this: an amazing movie has a fantastic script, a perfect soundtrack, and of course awesome visuals. There’s a lot more that goes into good movies, but those are some things that tend to stick out to me.

Favorite food: Tacos and cheesecake. They’re both absolutely delicious, plus they’re some of my favorite foods to make.

Favorite quote: “You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us. And the world will live as one.” ― John Lennon