September Faces on the Field

fotf-volleyballElla Ristvedt

After a triumphant win against Wilson Sept. 22, Cleveland’s Ella Ristvedt was able to walk away proud for her amazing passes made that night.  The junior captain is a libero on varsity volleyball for the third year in a row. Her job, which is digging hits from the other team and stepping up to get the ball over the net when the ball is shanked, has proved successful, considering the team’s record is 6-2 so far this season. With the help of Ristvedt, Cleveland won against Wilson three games to one. “I was really hoping to win against Wilson this game and it felt really good when we did,” she said. “My serves went over and I got the ball up almost every time.” Wilson’s hitters have been a part of their success, and due to Ristvedt, Cleveland was able to overcome this barrier.

fotf-allisonAllison MacMillan

Allison MacMillan has been a vital part of the Cleveland girls soccer program ever since she stepped onto the field, and has played a huge part in leading the Warriors to a state rank of 21. Allison, a captain this year, helped lead her team to a season opening win against Liberty by a score of 4-0. She plays left back, but doesn’t let that stop her from finding the back of the net, already scoring a goal this year. “There are a lot of freshman but we just have have to work as a team. It’s looking good,” she says about the season’s prospects. She’s looking for a win in the next game against Franklin on Sept. 27, when the Warriors open up league play.

fotf-dawson

Dawson Currin

Dawson Currin is a senior and has played soccer all four years he’s been at Cleveland. He plays both outside back and midfield. This season, he is on varsity after swinging last year. Although he hasn’t scored he’s added to both the attack and defense with his speed and skill. Currin has been enjoying this season a lot so far. “My favorite part of playing for Cleveland is my teammates,” said Currin. “Everyone’s really chill and we all like each other a lot.” Overall Currin seems to be having a great season both on and off the field.

Finn Kemper

Finn Kemper is a second year cross country runner for Cleveland. His most recent cross country meet was the PIL Relays meet at Pier Park in St. Johns. The PIL Relays meet was a different experience in comparison to the normal cross country meets, as runners were only to run one mile before handing off a baton to continue the relay, rather than complete individually the normal three miles in standard meets. “This meet greatly favored track and field runners,” said Kemper. “I was the anchor on my team because of my experience in track and field in the springtime. My favorite race is the 1600 meters so that really helped me in the PIL Relay and I think that’s why my relay team did pretty well!” After the Cleveland first team finished 10th in the overall rankings of the PIL Relays, the Cleveland team looks forward to improving in their upcoming meets.

fotf-arturoArturo Flores-Cruz

Arturo Flores-Cruz is in his fourth year of playing football and is currently a running back and a linebacker for the varsity football team. Flores-Cruz has played varsity for three years.  “I love it. It’s something I enjoy doing and I will miss just being around your friends, working hard, and putting the effort each week. There’s nothing more fun than playing football with your friends,” he said. Flores has stepped into the starting running back role this year and hopes this year will be better than last, even with veteran lineman Daniel McIlveen out for the season. Through the first three games, Flores-Cruz is the second leading rusher on the team.

About the Contributors
Allie Montgomery, Reporter
Position within Newspaper: Reporter, photographer Graduation year: 2018 Favorite thing to do: Watching movies, going on adventures with my friends, and baking Favorite book: I would have to say Paper Towns by John Green. I use it as a guideline when I want to do something adventurous. Favorite movie: I would have to say Clueless...
Tillman Degens, Reporter
Position within the newspaper: Reporter Graduation year: 2017 Favorite thing to do: Ski Favorite book: The Godfather Favorite movie: The Wolf of Wall Street Favorite food: Chicken Wings Favorite Quote: ¨There is nothing to fear but fear itself”-Tillman Degens
Sam Gavitte, Reporter
Position within Newspaper: Reporter Graduation Year: 2017 Favorite thing to do: Sleeping Favorite book: One Hundred of Solitude Favorite movie: Sharknado Favorite food: Ramen Favorite quote: “I’m in the kitchen, yams everywhere,” -2 Chainz
Noah Kemper, Reporter
Name: Noah Kemper Position within Newspaper: Reporter Graduation Year: 2017 Favorite thing to do: I love traveling, hanging out with friends, and playing sports Favorite book: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien Favorite movie: The Lord of the Rings Series Favorite food: Sushi Favorite quote: “Difficult things take a long time; impossible things, a little longer.”...
Riley Buerk, Reporter
Name: Riley Buerk Position: Reporter Graduation year: 2017 Favorite thing to do: Play Basketball Favorite book: Don’t Put Me In Coach by Mark Titus Favorite movie: Happy Gilmore Favorite food: Pizza Favorite quote: “You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you” -Yogi Berra
Ashley Lytle, Editor-in-Chief
Position: Editor-in-Chief, Online Editor, Page Editor, Photographer, Videographer Graduation year: Class of 2017 Favorite thing to do: Hang out with friends by either going out somewhere or more commonly watching movies or Netflix and cooking. I also enjoy just hanging out at home with my kitty,  Willow. Favorite book: I tend to be drawn to...