Cleveland Basketball Teams Start Strong

Clarion photo Wes Whisnand
Paulina Davis dives for a loose ball against Barlow

While days get shorter, and temperatures drop, there is still one thing to be excited about: basketball season. Both Cleveland varsity teams started the season strong the weekend of Dec. 1-3.
Cleveland’s girls team started their season in the Lady Mavs Winter Classic, at Mountainside High School. The Warriors’ first game was on Friday, Dec 1, against the Barlow Bruins. Cleveland played hard and won 57-46. The Warriors played stellar defensively. They had 13 steals and two blocks that led to lots of fastbreak opportunities, and made a major difference in the game. The Warriors were also very efficient, shooting 41 percent from the field.
Coach Po Waiwaiole said that this team “is definitely more capable defensively than in past years,” and that “defense was a main focus in pre-season.”
Then on Saturday, Dec 2, the Warriors faced off with the McNary Celtics. Cleveland won this game in dominant fashion, with a final score of 58-38. The Warriors went up right away and never looked back, leading the entire game. Cleveland is currently ranked third in the state.
According to Waiwaiole, “our greatest strength is that we have a lot of experience. We have several seniors who have played varsity their entire high school career.”
The Warriors have a short break before playing their home opener against Tualatin, on Tuesday, Dec 12.
Cleveland will then go on an overnight trip, to play two games in Washington. On Monday, Dec. 18 they will play Stadium High School in Tacoma. They will then face off with Kentlake, on Wednesday, Dec. 20.
When asked, coach Waiwaiole said that this trip “will be a good chance to do some team bonding” and “it will be an opportunity to grow.”
The boys team began the season with the Bill Gabel tournament at Tigard High School. In their first game, on Dec 1, the Warriors faced off against David Douglas. Cleveland dominated in this game, winning by 18 points, with a final score of 86-68. The next day, Dec 2, they played Sunset. The Warriors played hard, but lost by just five points, 62-57. Cleveland played their first non-tournament game on Dec 6, against Sherwood, losing 43-32.
The Warriors will play in the Shamrock Slam at Sheldon, starting on Dec. 8 when they face the hosts. They play North Medford Dec. 9. After this tournament they will have a rematch with Sunset on Dec 13. Their home opener and first league game will be against Lincoln on Dec. 15.