Winter Sports

Clarion photo Ashley Lam
A Cleveland swimmer gets ready to race.

The winter sports season has officially come to an end, so here’s a look at how each team did.

Boys basketball ended their season with a loss to South Medford in the first round of the playoffs. Although the season did not end the way Cleveland wanted, there were many highlights for the Warriors. The biggest star for Cleveland was senior Jackson Owens. One of his accomplishments during the season was reaching 1000 points, which he accomplished in a win over Grant. Owens was named to the PIL First Team, and junior Finn Cooper and seniors Will Susak and Nate Crouser were PIL Honorable Mentions. The Warriors finished 14-12 and ended with a rank of 23rd in state.

The girls basketball team also ended their season with a loss in the first round to Sherwood. The girls team ended with the exact same record and ranking as the boys: 14-12 and 23rd in state. The Warriors were led by a strong starting lineup of seniors. Senior Addy Huss was named to the PIL First Team, and senior Malia Waiwaiole was named to the PIL Second Team. Senior Kama Waiwaiole was also named PIL Honorable Mention.

The boys wrestling team ended their 12-year run of winning the PIL District championship, but the Warriors still sent eight wrestlers to state. Freshman Stewart Bromwell, senior Adrian Anaya, and junior Max Copus all won district titles in the 113, 138, and 157 weight classes, respectively. Other qualifiers included freshman Curran Smeller (second in 106), freshman Sam Medford and junior Teagan Paxton (second and third in 126), junior Will Kingman (third in 138), and senior Connor Smeller (second in 175).

Cleveland’s girls wrestling team was equally as dominant, finishing the district meet with five wrestlers placing in the top six. Junior Isabel Herring placed first in the 170 pound weight class. Maria Caudillo won her weight class (100). Kiera Callahan, a Cleveland sophomore, placed third in the 110 pound weight class. Lily Love finished fifth and Charlotte Campbell placed sixth in their respective classes. Callahan, Herring, and Caudillo moved on to compete at the state meet, where Herring won the state title over Wilsonville’s Jasmine Brown.

The swim team ended the season with a strong finish at the PIL District Meet with the boys placing fourth and the girls placing fifth. Sophomore Brent Welch qualified for state individually with a second place finish in the boys 200 meter freestyle. The boys 400 freestyle relay team of Welch, sophomores Simon Vanderwal and Eugene Fedutinov, and senior Lucas Geren finished in second place. Other top performers for the boys included junior Max Thompson, who finished second in the 100 yard backstroke, and Fedutinov who finished second in the 50 yard freestyle and 100 yard breaststroke. The girls 400 yard freestyle relay team of sophomore Sara Cass, junior Hazel Alperin, and seniors Lucy Weinberg and Kaylee Ho finished third, and Cass finished fourth in the 200 yard individual medley and fifth in the 100 yard breaststroke. At the state championships, Welch placed 15th in the 200 meter freestyle and 13th in the 500 meter freestyle, and the 400 relay team placed 16th.